Racing Minis at Zandvoort
Photo: Copyright © 2019 Eelke Blok

Restored glory

Good news (which is slightly overdue). After last time's shameful news, I was a bit worried about what might have been damaged on the white Cooper. Luckily, the damage was kept to only the anchor plate and a misssing wheel nut. One of the Superfin brake drums also lost a few fins, but functionally, there was no problem, so it was reused. So, a new anchor plate, a spare wheel nut and some labour in Amersfoort later, the Cooper's glory was restored once again.

Shameful saturday

Looks like I've commited to reporting everything that happens in my automotive live, so it wouldn't be fair to only report about the good times (and the moderately bad, see chrome trim episodes), but also the bad and shameful times. So, here goes...


After my IEEE address has seized funcitoning (finally), my anti-spam regime is finally paying off. I don't get any spam! And should spam start arriving on any of the aliases I have left around the Internet, I'll know who's been naughty, and I can cut them off at the click of a button.

Tomtom 4

It took a phone call, but I finally got a little attention to my second (which is essentially just the first) support request. After a whole three weeks! Hopefully, the next response does not take another three weeks.


It's been quiet on the new Mini front for quite a while. Last time I reported, I was trying to decide whether to get a white car at extra cost, or opting for another color. Neither option appealed to me at the time, really (especially because I don't believe a premium for white is justified in case of a Mini).

Trim trouble... no more

Yes! After having reported about the not-so-great attempt at fitting new chrome trim to the white Cooper, we put a lot of thought into how to proceed. I considered paying someone with a proven track record numerous times, although the thought that we should be able to do this was always present too. One thing was certain; we wouldn't be sattisfied with the trim looking like it did. Certainly not when knowing full well there were Mini's out there that did get it right.

Camshaft timed

Finally! After over a year (when we visited MiniSport, who told me the engine is down on BHP and compression, and the first thing to check was valve timing), the camshaft timing was checked. It looks like there was indeed a big problem in this area, namely a missing tensioner for the timing chain, which already caused a lot of wear on the chain. A new chain went in, along with the tensioner. The engine seems livelier, now, which is good news.

Nokkenas op tijd gezet

Eindelijk! Na meer dan een jaar (toen we bij MiniSport waren, waar me verteld werd dat er te weinig vermogen en te weinig compressie in de motor zit, en dat het eerste dat gecontroleerd moest worden de kleppentiming was), is de nokkenas nu op tijd gezet. Het lijkt erop dat er inderdaad een groot probleem was op dit vlak, namelijk een missende spanner voor de ketting, wat al heel wat slijtage had veroorzaakt. Er is een nieuwe ketting in gegaan, samen met een spanner. De motor lijkt nu een stuk levendiger, en dat is goed nieuws.